Tuesday 31 January 2012

A little background about me.

All these posts are very researchy aren't they?
I thought it might be an idea to place all this research against the background of my life, why I'm doing all this and how.
I am 42. I live in Cornwall with my husband Jon of 11 years and my three girls, Rhiannon (18), Shannon (16) and Ilona (9).
After a turbulent first marriage to Shannon's dad in Coventry, I returned to Cornwall in 1998. I met Jon in July '99 and soon after decided to return to education. I took Art A-level, then began Art and Design Foundation, during which I decided that Photography was my true love and left the course halfway through, had Ilona, and then returned to do Photography A-level in 2005. After that I stayed on to take Photography National Diploma.
That led to my University offer at Falmouth.
Just after learning of my University place Jon was diagnosed with Young Onset Parkinson's Disease. He was 37. We considered me declining the place, but decided that if I was going to do it, now was the only time I would be able to. He continued working to support me for the 3 years it took to get my degree.
My work at Uni centred around self portraiture and the family album and memory.
During the three years at Falmouth I used to dread essay writing and presenting my work. However, about a year after graduating, I realised that it was the thing I missed the most about my work.
So, I decided, after consideration for Jon (he was still working and doing well health wise) to apply to do a Masters degree at Plymouth University.
After the realisation that I loved writing, I decided that a research Masters was the way to go.
And you pretty much know the rest of the story!
Alongside my research work, I run the house and kids, and i have recently become involved with a charity, agreeing to have my head shaved on the 25th Feb. Yikes! Anyway, a little boy's health and happiness is far more important than my vanity. I can wear a hat!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Well-Wishers-Fundraising/242829942459022 
 I'm also in the process of assembling my own PROPER family album (actually more a cross between photo album and scrapbook). It gives me plenty to think about while I'm reading and writing about it! I hope to be putting together some case studies for my thesis work.


Finally......here are some of my old family photos that will be going in my album.

 Me and my sister 1975

My Mum and Dad. 1969

 The family. 1976

 My little sis. 1977

Family Christmas. 1971

My and my Daddy. 1974
  

2 comments:

  1. i love the pictures liz really homely lise xx good on you very positive xc

    ReplyDelete