Friday 5 October 2012

Buses

I have come to the conclusion that jobs are like buses.........nothing for years and then loads at once.
So, with some time to fill, I contacted local colleges that teach photography and asked if I could work for them for free. This has two advantages.....1. I get some fab experience to put on my CV, and 2. I'm surrounded by young, enthusiastic artists that inspire my thought processes constantly.
I heard from one college (yes, just one......you'd think the offer of a free worker would be met with more excitement, wouldn't you?) and started assisting on the Art and Design Foundation course at Truro College in September. Woo!
But it didn't stop there,  oh no....that was just the beginning. On my first day, I found out about a job teaching Recreational Photography in the evenings. I rang about it and got an interview for the next day. Excellent!
Then I began a discussion with Dena O'Brien, printmaker extraordinaire and tutor on Art and Design, who needed a photographer to catalogue all her work for use on her website- this was commission  #1.
I started teaching the evening classes last Tuesday (which was a bit nerve-wracking as I had less than a week to plan it, by the time I found out I had the job), and 2 days ago, I had a call from an old contact at the brewery asking me to do another commission for them in November.
I'm telling you, it's all gone a bit mental!
Nothing for a year, then two jobs and two commissions in as many weeks.
I'm a happy bunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment