Sunday 4 December 2011

The initial idea



OK, here goes.
I'm a middle aged woman doing a Research Masters in photography. My plan is to explore the ideas behind the family album and the future of it.
When will people realize that they're not leaving anything for the future generation?
You take hundreds of pictures on your fancy digital camera, then what? You delete all the rubbish ones before you even get home, then you upload them to an obscure file on the computer, most likely never to be looked at again. Very, very rarely, we might print one or two out, but they don't go into an album. They maybe get pasted onto the wall or put in a wallet.
What has happened to the joy of the actual, physical photo album...with actual, real, physical photos that you can touch? Remember them?
Anyhow, I digress. This was my idea.......until.......I bought an old wedding photo album from eBay, just as an interesting idea to go with my family album Resurrection plan.
The album is from a wedding in Stratford, London, dated 1965. In the back of the album is the photo of the marriage certificate, in all it's brilliant clarity. It was just asking me (begging me really!), to trace these people and return their wedding album to them.
I mean there are so many questions! Why did they get rid of their album? How did it end up with me?
So instead of following my family history, my plan is now to trace the couple in the photos, ask them if I can do the history thing with their family tree.
I am now learning the ropes of genealogy sites, slowly. Going back seems to be quite easy. Finding out where they are now will be the harder part.Wish me luck, and in the mean time....if any of you know the whereabouts of Patricia Ann O'Leary (nee Fleet) and /or James Dennis O'Leary around the East End of London, help me with my quest please!


No comments:

Post a Comment